2021 Percy Synar Award Ceremony
Sonia Moctezuma - soniamoctezuma [at] berkeley.edu
Join us as we congratulate the 2021 recipients of the Charles H. Percy Undergraduate Grant for Public Affairs Research and the Mike Synar Graduate Research Fellowship. Student awardees will offer brief presentations of their research projects.
The 2021 Synar Graduate Research Fellowship awardees are:
- David Foster (Political Science), Formal Models of Presidential Unilateral Action
- Joe LaBriola (Sociology), For Rent: Local Residential Development, Rising Housing Costs, and Inequality
- Mary Shi (Sociology), Large Scale Infrastructure Projects in American State Formation: The Erie Canal, the Transcontinental Railroads, and the Hoover Dam
- Joseph Warren (Political Science), Formal Models of Early American State Development
The 2021 Percy Undergraduate Grant awardees are:
- Gracielle Li (Political Science, Legal Studies, Psychology), How to Disintegrate a State: A Comparative Analysis of 21st Century US and 1990s Yugoslav Politics
- Lesly Avendaño (Legal Studies), The Roots of Migration and Political Movements of Oaxaqueños: A Case Study on Its Legal and Political Importance in California
- Nabeela Syed (Business Administration & Political Science), The Role of Political Extremism on Voter Turnout by Race
- Tara Madhav (History & Political Science), The Politics of School Closure in East Palo Alto, California, 1958-1986
The Percy Grants and Synar Fellowships are made possible by a generous donation from William Brandt and Patrice Bugelas-Brandt. These fellowships were created to honor Congressman Mike Synar of Oklahoma, who was Bill’s mentor when he first became active in politics and public policy, and Senator Charles H. Percy of Illinois for whom Patrice worked as a press secretary.