Checkup for Obamacare: Implementation and Prognosis
Registration for this event is by invitation only on EventBrite.
A one-day conference examining the first year national experience with the implementation of the health insurance exchanges under the Affordable Care Act. The goal of this event will be to gather leading health care reform policy experts to review the national and California experience with the first year rollout of federally mandated health insurance exchanges. The conference will include sessions on the public policy outcomes, political and public opinion effects, and initial industry responses to the Affordable Care Act.
1:00 - 1:05 pm- Welcome & Opening by Jack Citrin, Director, UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies & Heller Professor of Political Science
1:05- 1:15 pm - Introductory Remarks: "A Status Report on the Affordable Care Act"
- William H. Dow, Henry J. Kaiser Professor of Health Economics, UC Berkeley School of Public Health
1:15 pm-2:45 pm - Panel I: Implementation of the Afforable Care Act: California & the Nation
- Katherine Swartz, Professor of Health Policy & Economics, Harvard School of Public Health
- Jeffrey Rideout, Senior Medical Advisor, Covered California
- Gary Cohen, Principal, Gary Cohen Consulting
- Richard M. Scheffler, Distinguished Professor of Health Economics & Public Policy, UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- Moderator: Ann C. Keller, Associate Professor, Health Policy & Management, UC Berkeley
2:45-3:00 pm - Break
3:00-4:00 pm - Panel II: A View from the Trenches
- L. Wade Rose, Vice President External and Government Relations, Dignity Health
- David Douglas, CEO, Douglas Parking
- Ken Wood, Senior Vice President for Consumer & Senior Markets, Blue Shield of California
- Moderator: Lisa M. Suennen, Principal, Venture Valkyrie
4:00-4:15 pm - Break
4:15-5:30 pm - Panel III: Public Opinion and Politics
- Mollyann Brodie, Senior Vice President, Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
- Peter D. Hart, Chairman Emeritus, Peter D. Hart Research Associates
- Thomas E. Mann, Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
- Moderator: John Ellwood, Director- RWJF Scholars in Health Policy Research & Professor Emeritus of Public Policy, UC Berkeley
5:30-6:00 pm - Reception
For more information, please contact Marc Levin, IGS Associate Director, 510-643-6476, marcl [at] berkeley.edu
The closest public parking lots are located at:
- Bancroft Hotel (2680 Bancroft Way just below College Ave.)
- Bancroft Center Underground Parking Garage (2580 Bancroft Way just below Bowditch)
- Telegraph/Channing Garage (2450 Durant Ave. just below Telegraph)
There are street parking meters near campus, but most have brief time limits.
See the Parking In and Around Campus page for a full list of local lots.
The nearest BART station is Downtown Berkeley. You can locate Moses Hall on the Contact/Directions page.
The California Wellness Foundation / Field Health Policy Survey - Part 1 (August 19, 2014) (pdf)
- Increase in California voter support for Affordable Care Act
- Most say the state's implementation of the law has been successful
- Growing proportions satisfied with the say California's health care system is working
The California Wellness Foundation / Field Health Policy Survey - Part 2 (August 20, 2014) (pdf)
- Over one in three voters under age 65 personally visited the Covered California website
- Medi-Cal viewed as increasingly important to voters and their families
- Support for proposals aimed at improving state's health care system, including Prop. 45