Job Opportunity – Events and Communications Coordinator
About The Institute:
The Institute of Governmental Studies (IGS) stands at the forefront of research, teaching and service in California and American politics and policy. Interdisciplinary and non-partisan, we foster thoughtful discussions of issues across party lines that focus on solutions. Through our cutting-edge research, Berkeley IGS Poll, public events, and student public service programs, we show how people can influence policy, how policy affects communities, and the importance of governmental institutions and actors in that process. We engage faculty, research and political practitioners to make a difference in discourse and in practice. Our mission is anchored by a belief in the transformational power of public service.
In coordination with the IGS Executive Director, you will plan, organize, implement and publicize virtual and in-person small and large-scale events, such as symposia, conferences, colloquia, workshops, trainings, advisory board meetings, and VIP briefings. You should have experience managing event logistics; creating and disseminating event materials and publicity; and facilitating communication about events with speakers, co-sponsors, audience members, vendors, ETS, facilities maintenance staff, and other support staff.
You will also assist with implementing the Institute's communications strategy, which includes updating the website; producing and disseminating announcements about the IGS Poll, events, and other activities; collaborating with faculty and student researchers to produce reader-friendly accounts of publications and policy briefs; maintaining an active social media presence; and assisting with preparing the IGS newsletter, fundraising appeals and other forms of Institute communications.
- Excellent event management skills for in-person and virtual events, including working knowledge of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and production and public relations, and skill in effectively coordinating and organizing multiple details.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and political acumen, including skill ineffectively representing the campus and IGS to its publics.
- Good judgment and effective decision-making and problem resolution skills, including skill to recognize and deal effectively and appropriately with real and potential problem areas.
- Excellent writing and graphic skills, including skill in creating event publicity and communicating with speakers, co-sponsors, media, VIPs, and the wider public.
- Expertise with various forms of social media used to communicate events and activities.
- Experience with digital strategy, social media campaigns.
- Familiarity with Drupal, Data Visualization, MailChimp, Instagram, Twitter, Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Working knowledge of the campus, its programs, policies, mission, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure.
- Familiarity with California and U.S. political, social, and economic issues.
View the full Job Description, and apply online, at jobs.berkeley.edu (search Job ID 24324).