The Institute of Governmental Studies (IGS) proudly offers visiting scholar appointments.
We strongly urge potential visitors to begin the inquiry process at least five months or more before expected arrival date in Berkeley.
Visiting Scholar Eligibility Criteria
- Must possess a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent earned more than five years ago.*
- Proposed research must fit closely within the research mission of IGS.
- Must have a UCB faculty sponsor.
- Initial appointment term must be at least one month and no more than one year in duration.
- Must show proof of adequate funding.
- May not be UC staff or faculty.
* Equivalence can be established through degrees earned at foreign universities, or through personal or professional experience that provides a basis for pursuing the type of research and writing expected of someone holding the Ph.D. degree.